A child suffered a superficial wound at Merit Health Central hospital Wednesday morning when a gun in her mother's purse accidentally discharged in the emergency room, Jackson police confirmed.
Police spokeswoman Colendula Green said the mother dropped her purse while standing by a vending machine, which caused her gun to go off inside her purse. The bullet ricocheted off the vending machine and grazed the 2-year-old girl's face on the right side.
Her injuries are said to be not life-threatening.
Merit Health Central Hospital released a statement saying weapons are prohibited on the hospital grounds in order to protect the safety of patients, visitors and employees.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Sun Herald
"This morning, an isolated incident involving the accidental discharge of a visitor's weapon occurred on our campus. It was addressed quickly, preventing serious harm to the patient and risk to others in the hospital," the statement read.
The investigation is ongoing, Green said.