* The Vancleave volleyball team (28-7) will try to advance in the Class I playoffs when it takes on Germantown in Gluckstadt at 6 p.m. today.
* Former Pascagoula star running back Vick Ballard will make his first NFL start at noon on Sunday for the Indianapolis Colts.
* Vancleave football coach Jim Bloomfield said that senior A.J. Skinner will see more playing time on the offensive line this week due to injuries there. He's been playing mostly on the defensive line this season.
* Pascagoula football coach Lewis Sims described his team as "Blue collar society" as it tries to rebound from last week's stinging 49-10 loss to No. 1 Picayune. He said it's all about "perfecting the little things."
* Bloomfield has seen strong play out of his quarterback, Terren Crowley, in recent weeks. He has thrown for 722 yards, nine touchdowns and six interceptions this season.
"He's consistently trying to get better," Bloomfield said. "He's a great kid who works hard. Again, we'd like to be 10-for-10 for every game and throw for 300 yards and rush for 200. He's a duel threat type kid. "If the Offensive line is not holding blocks, we don't look very good."
* Bloomfield describes 6-0 Bay High as "loaded." Vancleave hosts Bay at 7 p.m. on Friday.
* Gautier coach Chris Peterson is high on the improved play of his offensive line. He gave credit to assistants Bob Knight and Joshua Elkins as playing a major role in the line's development.
* I'll have much more information in my Jackson County notebook that runs in the Thursday and Sunday editions of the Sun Herald.