The Biloxi Lighthouse is one of the first cast-iron lighthouses in the South. Refurbished after Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005, it is now available for tours.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Historic sites in South Mississippi
was the last home of Jefferson Davis and it was the site of his retirement. It is owned and operated by the Mississippi Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.
was erected in 1848 and was one of the first cast-iron lighthouses in the South.
The Biloxi Schooners
The Maritime & Seafood Industry Museum has recaptured a piece of history in their two schooners, replicas of the Biloxi oyster schooners from the late 1800s, the "Glenn L. Swetman" and the "Mike Sekul"
Depot Disrict, Bay St. Louis
is a few blocks from Old Town. The Bay St. Louis Depot District is home to the 1928 L&N Train Depot and man other historic buildings as well as retaurants and the little theater that served as the boarding house in "This Property is Condemned."
was first established in 1699 by the French under Paul Pierre LeMoyne, Sieur d'Iberville. Abandoned in 1702. Also known as Fort Biloxi. It was heavily damaged in Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and currently is under reconstruction in Ocean Springs.
sits on the beachfront of The University of Southern Mississippi Gulf Park Campus , overlooking the Gulf of Mexico, The magnificent Live oak tree is 500-plus years old.
La Maison Gautier
"The Old Place" is a waterfront home on the Singing River in Gautier, built in 1867. It is available on a limited basis for receptions, meetings and parties.
Old Brick House
is an example of the mingling of french colonial and American building traditions in Biloxi.
Pleasant Reed House
The Pleasant Reed Interpretive Center is a reconstruction of the original house built by Pleasant Reed during the 1880s and 1890s
Scenic Drive, Pass Christian
is an elevated street that parallels U.S. 90. Some of the 85 houses on this two-mile stretch were built before the Civil War; others date from the turn of the 20th century. Scenic Drive is one of three sites in the United States designated as a national historic street.
Turkey Creek Community Historic District
was founded in 1866, when a small group of recently emancipated African-Americans exercised their rights of citizenship, property-ownership and self-determination to purchase and settle the 320 acres or “eight forties” that came to be known as the Turkey Creek community. In 2001, the Mississippi Heritage Trust listed the entire community as one of the state's Ten Most Endangered Historical Places.