Yes, it is still 97 degrees outside, but very soon it will be SHRIMP STEW time, so I wanted to share my real easy stew that is delicious and rib sticking as my Dad use to say!
Jan's Shrimp Stew
- 1 Stick butter
- 1/2 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 small bunch green onions- chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 3-4 Tablespoons flour
- 1- 32oz box chicken stock
- 1 can Cream of Shrimp soup
- 1 can Cream of Onion soup or Cream of Mushroom
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 Teaspoon Tony’s seasoning
- Dash of Mrs. Dash, garlic & onion powder, and black pepper to taste
- 3 cans (15 oz) small whole potatoes, drained & rinsed
- 2 lbs of raw shrimp- use either (21-25 or 16-20-cut in half), peeled and deveined
Saute vegetables in butter, until tender, add flour to make blonde roux, season with 1/4 teaspoon Tony’s and a couple of shakes of Mrs. Dash. When flour cooked but not browned, add all of chicken stock, and cans of soup, parsley, more Mrs. Dash, onion & garlic powders & pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, taste for seasonings, and add more to taste.
Add potatoes & shrimp to bubbling gravy, you may need to add a little water to thin out. Cook for 45 minutes, to 1 hr on low heat, check and stir and make sure it does not burn.
The stew is better if it is made the day before you are going to serve. Serve hot over jasmine rice
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Sun Herald