Let’s try another opinions column in the old Twitter-style, 140 characters at a time...
▪ Just go ahead and give Alvin Kamara NFL Rookie of the Year. Guy is insanely terrific. #somuchfuntowatch
▪ Initially I had mixed emotions moving the MHSAA title games out of Jackson. Not now. Amazing success.
▪ I cast my Heisman ballot for Lamar Jackson, because I think he’s the best college player in the country.
Never miss a local story.
▪ So yes, State’s defense has its hands full and then some in the Taxslayer Bowl.
▪ Louisiana Lafayette is looking for new coach. They’re crazy if they don’t call Steve Campbell at Central Arkansas.
▪ C Spire Conerly voting was tough. AJ Brown and NickFitz were terrific. I voted for the senior, Ito Smith.
▪ Fact: Ito Smith is one of the 10 most productive running backs in NCAA FBS history.
▪ Thanks to the Ole Miss sports info crew who handled MHSAA press box operation. First class all the way.
▪ If I was oddsmaker: FSU by 10 over USM; Louisville by 6 over MSU in bowl games.
▪ Can’t understand why nobody has offered East Central’s Tony Brown. Kid can play.
▪ Committee got it right: 1. Clemson, 2. Oklahoma, 3. Georgia, 4. Alabama. Still, eight teams would be better.
▪ There may be a bigger mess than Tennessee’s coach search. I haven’t seen it. #Orangemuck
▪ Glad Tiger Woods is back. Golf is more fun when he’s playing.
▪ Gut feeling: Tiger’s oft-injured body won’t hold up to the torque of his swing. #matter of time.
▪ Ben Howland may have something going at State. Lot of talent, guys who can score.
▪ Queen Victoria Vivians has raised the level of her game at least a notch. #Whatacareer!
▪ Not nearly ready to say these MSU Lady Bulldogs are better than last year’s. Not close. Not now.
▪ Is Drew Brees ageless? No, but he is a mighty young 38. Playing as well as ever. #SaintDrew.
▪ After another year of bowl ban, Ole Miss hiring of Matt Luke looks especially good. #Playersdighim.
▪ Miss. Sportsperson of the Year? My vote goes to Ole Miss golfer Braden Thornberry, state’s best ever.
▪ My favorite weekend of the year? The high school football championships weekend. #6passionplays.
▪ Clemson beats Bama. Georgia beats Oklahoma. Clemson beats Georgia. #youreaditherefirst.
▪ Philadelphia Eagles are NFL’s best team currently.
▪ Current Vegas odds on 2019 Masters: Spieth 7 to 1, Tiger 28 to 1.
▪ I’d make 5A champ West Point a 3-point pick over 6A champ Pearl. #Twodynamiteteams.
▪ FSU’s Cam Akers of Clinton will need 70 yards against USM to go over 1,000 for season.
▪ State’s new coach Joe Moorhead is a former sports writer. Should be good in 2-minute drill. #deadlines.
▪ Former NY Giants coach Ben McAdoo is a doofus. Never should have been hired. #PeterPrinciplewinsagain.
▪ Eli Manning started 210 straight games for the NY Giants. Think about it.
▪ 2 Super Bowl MVPs aside, most impressive about Eli: How he has handled NY media zoo for 14 seasons.
▪ William Carey puts MS Sports Hall of Famer Steve Knight’s name on basketball court. He deserves it.
▪ JMO, Twitter should have stayed at 140 characters. #Brevityalwaysbest.
Rick Cleveland (email@example.com) is a Jackson based syndicated columnist.