This week's Western Kentucky-Marshall and Southern Miss-Louisiana Tech games amount to playoff contests with the winners of the two games set to play for the Conference USA title on Dec. 5.
There's little doubt as to who the top five teams are in C-USA entering the final regular season games:
1. Western Kentucky (9-2, 7-0): The Hilltoppers can claim the C-USA East and the right to host the conference title game with a win over Marshall Friday.
2. Louisiana Tech (8-3, 6-1): The Bulldogs stuggled to top UTEP 17-15 Saturday, but we should expect to see their best against USM.
Never miss a local story.
3. Marshall (9-2, 6-1): A strong defense gives the Herd a shot at WKU Friday. The question becomes whether head coach Doc Holliday gets hired away once the regular season comes to a close.
4. Southern Miss (8-3, 6-1): USM can return to prominence in the conference with a win on the road at La. Tech.
5. Middle Tennessee (6-5, 5-2): The Blue Raiders should pick up their fourth win in a row when they travel to UTSA Saturday. MTSU will be bound for the Bahamas Bowl in the postseason.