WXXV has added one game to its original six-game schedule of Southern Miss football contests set to be televised during the 2014 campaign, WXXV general manager Bobby Edwards said Tuesday.
The latest contest to be added is the USM home game against Rice, which kicks off at 6 p.m. on Sept. 27 at Roberts Stadium in Hattiesburg.
The Rice game was originally scheduled to be televised by Fox College Sports. This likely changed after C-USA announced last month that it signed a TV deal with the Sinclair Broadcast Group, which owns local TV stations across the country. Sinclair, which has TV deals with Conference USA, the Southern Conference, Big South Conference, Colonial Athletic Association and Patriot League, will distribute the games across its stations through the newly-formed American Sports Network.
The closest Sinclair station to the USM campus in Hattiesburg is WPMI-NBC in Mobile, Ala.
Never miss a local story.
Sinclair has put the games up for syndication, allowing WXXV, which is based in Gulfport, to pick up the USM games.
Here is the current schedule of games to be shown on WXXV's FOX and NBC affiliates.
* 6 p.m., Sept. 20 – Appalachian State at USM - NBC
* 6 p.m., Sept. 27 - Rice at USM - NBC
* 11 a.m., Oct. 4 – USM at Middle Tennessee - FOX
* 6 p.m., Oct. 18 – USM at North Texas - NBC
* 2:30 p.m., Oct. 25 – Louisiana Tech at USM - FOX
* 6 p.m., Nov. 8 – USM at Marshall - NBC
* 2:30 p.m., Nov. 29 – UAB at USM - FOX