New Hope beat Pascagoula, 3-2, Saturday at Trustmark Park to claim the Class 5A title.
The Panthers came up just short of winning their second championship in a row.
There were a lot of ins and outs to the game, and here are some quick notes on the contest:
* New Hope pitcher Taylor Stafford went the distance for New Hope, giving up two earned runs on seven hits while striking out three. He pitched in all three games, and was clearly the MVP of the series.
* Working on two days rest, Andrew Crane got his second start of the series for Pascagoula. He gave up three earned runs on eight hits in 5 1/3 innings while walking none.
* Pascagoula senior center fielder Adam Smith was ejected from the game in the third inning for throwing his helmet down after he was caught off first by Stafford and he was thrown out trying to take second.
* Pascagoula first base coach John Tomes was also ejected in the fifth inning for arguing a call at first base.
* Tillman said he was disappointed with how both decisions were handled by the umpiring crew.
* Junior Corley Reynolds, who knocked in both runs Saturday, was upbeat about the squad coming back for the 2014 campaign.
"The future is always bright," Reynolds said. "Nobody gave us a chance this year and nobody is really going to give us a chance next year. I guarantee that if we work hard enough we'll be here next year."