The Carl Legett Memorial Fishing Tournament continues to grow in popularity each year.
The 23rd annual tournament will be Aug. 3-6 at Point Cadet Marina, and it will have a guaranteed payout of $26,500. Prizes will be awarded first through third places.
The tournament began as a Home Builders Association picnic in 1995 and eventually grew into a premier fishing event that supports the Gulf Coast Women’s Center for Non-Violence, Boys and girls Clubs, Back Bay Mission, the Bacot/McCarty Foundation and provide scholarships.
“The Carl Legett Tournament is a family-oriented event where we want everyone to come out and have a good time,” tournament chairman Steve Braun said. “I can’t thank the city of Biloxi enough for the use of the Point Cadet Plaza. The tournament’s been good for the Home Builders Association.”
Never miss a local story.
The Carl Legett tournament has three divisions: offshore, inshore and freshwater. Offshore consists of yellow fin tuna, cobia, king mackerel and red snapper. Inshore consists of alligator gar, black drum, blackfish, flounder, red fish and speckled trout. Freshwater has catfish and green trout.
First place for the largest yellow fin tuna is $3,000; $2,000 for cobia and speckled trout; and $1,500 for king mackerel and red snapper. First place is $1,000 each for alligator gar, flounder, black drum, blackfish, green trout and catfish.
The Captain’s party and registration will be held from 5- 9 p.m. Aug. 3 at the Point Cadet Plaza.
The registration fee is $80 per angler. All anglers must be registered by 3:30 p.m. Aug. 4. The tournament is free for spectators.
Fishing begins at 12:01 a.m. Friday.
Weigh-in times are 4-8 p.m. Aug. 4-5 and 2-5 p.m. Aug. 6 at Point Cadet Marina.
Here are the other events:
▪ The Kids Tournament, in conjunction with Carl Legett and the Coastal Conservation Association , takes place 8-10 a.m Aug. 5 at the Point Cadet. The first 300 kids fish for free between the ages of five and 13.
▪ A car show at 2 p.m. Aug. 5 at Point Cadet Marina.
▪ A bikini contest will be at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 5 at Point Cadet Marina.
▪ A shrimp boil is planned for 1-5 p.m. Aug. 6.
▪ The awards ceremony takes place after the scale closes around 6:30 p.m. Aug. 6.