With Conference USA play getting in full swing this week, it's difficult to see a Conference USA team knocking off Western Kentucky this season.
Marshall has to travel to WKU in the season finale and the Hilltoppers already have a win over West Division favorite Louisiana Tech.
Here are the top five teams in Conference USA through four weeks:
1. Western Kentucky (3-1, 1-0): The Hilltoppers led Miami-Ohio 49-7 at halftime Saturday. That’s a bad sign for the rest of C-USA. WKU is coming off a 56-14 victory as it travels to take on Rice (2-2, 1-0) on Saturday.
2. Louisiana Tech (2-2, 1-1): The Bulldogs pulled even in C-USA play with a 27-17 win over FIU. La. Tech seems entrenched at No. 2 unless something unexpected happens. Tech is an 18-point favorite to beat Louisiana-Lafayette in Ruston on Saturday.
3. Middle Tennessee (2-2, 1-0): The Blue Raiders spoiled a chance for a win over a Power 5 program at Illinois, losing 27-25 Saturday, but they have an opportunity to get another one this week with Vanderbilt coming to Murfreesboro. It should be a tight game, but the Raiders have enough offense to come out on top.
4. Marshall (3-1): The Herd isn’t exactly rolling right now, but it’s still 3-1. Considering Old Dominion lost 49-0 Saturday to Appalachian State (!), Marshall should roll over the Monarchs Saturday in Huntington.
5. Southern Miss (2-2): Thanks to Rice’s 70-17 destruction by Baylor, the Golden Eagles move into the C-USA Top 5 for the first time. USM should handle North Texas Saturday with an important test looming Oct. 9 at Marshall. After three years lost in the wilderness, USM is set to finally become relevant again in C-USA.