I spoke Wednesday with newly-hired Southern Miss athletic director Bill McGillis, and here are some notes from the conversation:
* McGillis is currently finishing his tenure at South Florida and plans to arrive in Hattiesburg for good around Aug. 5. He describes his job as executive associate athletic director at USF as his "day job" at the moment while he also takes on some of his USM responsibilities. McGillis is working with USM associate AD Jeremy McClain to make sure everything is running smoothly.
* McGillis said a major priority is finding a new USM associate athletic director in charge of compliance after Jason Gray left the school to take a similar position at Memphis.
* USM is also in search of a new men's tennis coach after Ki Kroll recently stepped down.
Never miss a local story.
* McGillis will be in attendance at USM's Beach Bash at 6 p.m. Friday along with new football coach Todd Monken. The event will be held at the D'Iberville Civic Center.
* McGillis said that he plans to spend a couple of hours talking with fans, listening to their concerns and ideas at the Beach Bash.
* He said that he is making an effort to interact with USM fans as much as possible, whether its at gatherings such as the Beach Bash or on social media.
* He has a USM Twitter account @SouthernMissAD
* McGillis stressed the importance of the Mississippi Gulf Coast to USM's future, saying it's big for fan support and recruiting.