GULFPORT -- DNA has confirmed the identity of an 82-year-old woman who died Jan. 6 in a fire at her home, Harrison County Coroner Gary Hargrove said.
He released the name of Lillie Mae Williams on Thursday.
"The autopsy shows she died of smoke inhalation," Hargrove said.
Her name had been withheld pending forensic tests to prove her identity.
Never miss a local story.
Fire officials have said her home in the 2100 block of 41st Avenue was engulfed in flames when firefighters responded to a 1 a.m. call for help. Firefighters put out the blaze in about 20 minutes and went inside the charred remains of the home, where they found her body.
The blaze destroyed the residence.
Officials later said the fire started in the living room and was caused by an electrical outlet that had several devices plugged into it, including a space heater.
A next-door neighbor told the Sun Herald the deceased woman had been a friend for about 15 years; they had enjoyed gardening together.