Two people suffered second-degree burns in a grease fire in Saucier on Friday afternoon, fire officials said.
The Harrison County Fire Department responded to the home on Charred Road around 1 p.m., said Chief Pat Sullivan.
A resident of the home was attempting to heat a pot of grease on the stove, which caught fire when he stepped away from it, Sullivan said. He grabbed the pot to try to take it outside but dropped it, burning himself and his mother.
Both suffered second-degree burns. One was taken by helicopter to the burn unit of USA Medical Center in Mobile. The other was taken to a local hospital. Neither had life-threatening injuries, Sullivan said.
Never miss a local story.
The damage to the home was contained to the kitchen.
"Fire departments don't recommend anyone trying to carry a burning pot of grease off the stove," Sullivan said. "We see it happen a lot. Either it fans the flames, which get bigger and cause them to drop the pot and burn themselves or it causes the fire to spread."
Anyone experiencing a grease fire should either turn off the stove and put something on top of the pot to smother it or use a fire extinguisher, Sullivan said.