The last three weeks have brought a building boom across South Mississippi as $11.9 million in construction permits were issued along with 68 new home building permits for work to begin before the weather chills.
A variety of projects are in the works. Topping the list are a $4 million building for Hillcrest Dental Group in Gulfport and a $3 million Saltgrass Steak House Landry’s is building north of Golden Nugget Casino Biloxi.
Investment in schools continues. The St. Martin Middle School is getting a $2.2 million expansion and Jackson County School District is putting $353,000 into a Fab Lab in Vancleave, north of the high school.
“We are seeing new commercial development,” said Tish Williams, director of the Hancock Chamber of Commerce. Just opened in Hancock County are a new Dirt Cheap store, a Tractor Supply, Smoothie King and Yamato Steakhouse.
Never miss a local story.
“After Hurricane Katrina our small, home-grown, locally owned small business came back,” she said. “Now we’re starting to see franchise investors,” who she said see the revenue potential for this area and bring new money to the community.
“These are all great but we need to really move the needle to recover economically,” she said. “We still need more people to relocate here. We need more outside investment coming in. We need more customers.”
Just how much impact this new development is having on the area will be explored in The State of the Coast Economy. The symposium will be presented by the Gulf Coast Business Council in cooperation with the chambers of commerce from across South Mississippi. It is from 8-10 a.m. on Oct. 31 at IP Casino Resort in Biloxi.
“I think some will be surprised at what they see,” said Ashley Edwards, president of the GCBC.
Real estate development is one of the topics GCBC Chairman John Hairston will look at as he presents regional data and leads a discussion on developing a long-term strategy for economic prosperity in South Mississippi.
Registration is required by Oct. 23 for the free breakfast event.
New projects are starting across the Coast. In Pascagoula, The Courtyards at City Dock will provide townhouse living on the Pascagoula River, within walking distance to downtown shops and restaurants.
Biloxi is getting several new restaurants. The Veaux Bar and Grill is open 24 hours a day at 285 Oak St. South Port Line Restaurant made its debut on Howard Avenue in time for Cruisin’ The Coast, and Dunkin’ Donuts is coming inside Hard Rock Casino Biloxi.
Jerry Creel, Biloxi’s community development director, said site work is under way after the Biloxi Council gave the green light to Finish Line Go Cart Track on U.S. 90.
A new Goodwill Select Store at Edgewater Village opened last week and the Valero Convenience Store at Cedar Lake is being demolished for a new Circle K convenience store to go in.
Southern Drill Supply equipment dealer opened a Biloxi branch to provide sales and service to Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and the Florida Panhandle.
“It just made sense for us to open up a location in Mississippi to be able to offer Toro underground products to an area that was previously underserved,” said Josh Varner, owner of Southern Drill Supply.
Permits for new business construction
- $4.1 million for 19,245 square foot building for Hillcrest Dental Group, 9231 Old Lorraine Road, Gulfport. Owner is LECA Development, Gulfport. Contractor is KB Kaufmann & Co., Slidell
- $3 million for new Saltgrass Steak House, 140 Beach Blvd., Biloxi. Contractor is Greater Gulf Development, Gulfport
- $2.2 million for addition to St. Martin Middle School at 10900 Yellow Jacket Blvd., Ocean Springs. Contractor is JW Puckett & Co., Gulfport
- $520,000 for a commercial shop at Glenn Crane & Rigging, 8100 Mississippi 57, Vancleave. Contractor is South Eastern Erectors, D’Iberville
- $400,000 for new Circle K at 1000 Cedar Lake Road, Biloxi. Owner is Circle K Stores, Pensacola
- $353,000 for new Fab Lab at 12004 Mississippi 57, Vancleave. Owner is Jackson County School District. Contractor is DNP Inc., D’Iberville
- $260,000 for metal storage building at 13300 Dedeaux Road, Gulfport. Owner is Drew Allen, Gaulfport. Contractor is McGee Construction, Gautier
- $242,000 for renovation of property owned by City of Pascagoula on Grove St. in Pascagoula. Contractor is M&D Construction, Moss Point
- $190,000 for renovations of the fire-damaged welcome center at Ohr-O’Keefe Museum of Art, 386 Beach Blvd., Biloxi. Contractor is Gibson Maintenance, Long Beach
- $186,000 for renovations to Circle K, 11305 Three Rivers Road, Gulfport. Owner is Circle K, Pensacola
- $175,000 for Dunkin’ Donuts at Hard Rock Casino Biloxi, 777 Beach Blvd. Owner is LaGunita Franchise Group, Jackson. Contractor is CNA Construction, Mobile
- $100,000 for renovations at Palfrey’s Sunny Side, 6515 Washington Ave., Ocean Springs. Owner is Chad Radich, Ocean Springs
- $70,000 for an activity shed for the church at 8900 Daisy Vestry Road, Biloxi. Contractor is Millennium Construction, D’Iberville
- $65,000 for renovations to the interior and exterior at 1201 31st Ave., Gulfport. Owner is Gregory Meekin, Gulfport. Contractor is C Roberds General Contractors, Biloxi
- $44,000 to add shutters and trellis at 9475 U.S. 49, Gulfport. Owner is Exit 34A, Gulfport. Contractor is Shular Contracting, Gulfport
- $20,000 for renovation to dance studio at 16940 Kapalama Road, Diamondhead. Owner is David Dreher, Diamondhead
- $10,000 for renovation to Beachin’ Cuts, 100 Jeff Davis Ave., Long Beach. Owner is Enga Woodten, Long Beach
Source: Treen Reports
Ribbon cuttings scheduled
- Oct. 13: Will’s Way, 9230 Old Lorraine Road, Suite A, Gulfport, 12:30 p.m.
- Oct. 14: Tractor Supply Co., 1220 U.S. 90, Bay St. Louis, 8 a.m.
- Oct. 17: Kreamy Donuts, 1101 Broad Ave., Gulfport, 11 a.m.
- Oct. 17: Cricket Wireless, 2348 Pass Road, Biloxi, 5 p.m.
- Oct 18: Bodhi Vape Shop, 1070 Irish Hill Dr., Biloxi, 1 p.m.
- Oct. 18: Gulf Coast Pediatric Care, 2025 Jackson Ave., Pascagoula, 4 p.m.
- Oct. 19: Enhanced Environmental & Emergency Services, Moss Point, 4 p.m.
- Oct. 19: Flooring Mart Home Design Center, 16201 Lemoyne Blvd., Biloxi 5 p.m.
- Oct. 20: Bloom Hair Studio, 200 Jeff Davis Ave., Long Beach, 11 a.m.
- Oct. 24: Southern Signs & Graphics, 1408 U.S. 90, Gautier, 10 a.m.