Another $4.4 million in commercial development in South Mississippi over the past two weeks brings the total to $71 million in Coast building permits since June 1.
The new Beach Casino at Island View under construction south of U.S. 90 in Gulfport accounts for $30 million of that total this summer, and new restaurants and hotels and remodeled businesses make up the other $41 million.
This week’s Treen Report of new building permits shows work is about to begin on a $3 million church complex in Woolmarket. Parkway Baptist Church is currently off Old Woolmarket Road near the fire department. A sprawling 222,800 square-foot church will be built on Mississippi 67, near the driver’s license center.
A 645-square-foot addition to Free Church of God in Gulfport also was permitted.
Never miss a local story.
Last week, the final certificate of occupancy was issued for a new Citizens Bank at at 1830 Popp’s Ferry Road, Biloxi, according to Jerry Creel, Biloxi’s community development director.
“A temporary certificate of occupancy was issued for the new Biloxi Jr. High School, as construction crews continue to complete punch list items,” Creel said in his weekly report. “The final certificate should be issued within the next 30 days.”
Work is under way on three new hotels around the downtown Biloxi area, and Creel said permits were issued for fire sprinkler system installation at Watermark Hotel as crews continue to make progress on converting the former Santa Maria del Mar senior housing into an all-suites hotel. A Hilton Garden Inn is under construction just to the east and a LaQuinta a few blocks to the west.
In addition to the commercial projects, new housing construction continues to boom across South Mississippi, with 47 new homes permitted for construction in the past two weeks in Harrison and Hancock counties and 13 in Jackson County. That makes 324 new home permits issued across the Coast since June 1.
New buildings permits for the past two weeks
▪ $3 million for Parkway Baptist Church, 19200 Road 542, Biloxi. Contractor is Coastal Industrial Services, D’Iberville.
▪ $935,000 for new Keith’s Gas Station at 19000 28th St., Long Beach. Contractor is Piercon Inc., Hattiesburg.
▪ $140,000 for renovation of a physical therapy office at 2 Pass Road, Gulfport. Owner is Sam Stewart and Joseph Panno, Mandeville, Louisiana. Contractor is Ackel Construction, Harahan, Louisiana.
▪ $95,000 for new commercial at 19130 Pineville Road, Long Beach. Contractor is Southern Contracting.
▪ $92,000 for renovation of a restaurant at 4101 Denny Ave., Pascagoula. Owner is RCG Ventures, Atlanta. Contractor is Interstate Restoration, Fort Worth, Texas.
▪ $51,000 for an addition at Free Church of God, 1237 43rd Ave., Gulfport. Contractor is Making a Difference, Biloxi.
▪ $41,000 for site work for camper parking at 14101 U.S. 49, Gulfport. Owner is Dennis Lee, Picayune. Contractor is Dennis Collier Construction, Picayune.
▪ $30,000 for renovation at 2015 15th St., Gulfport. Owner is Coast Transit Authority, Gulfport. Contractor is JO Collins Construction, Biloxi.
▪ $29,000 for tenant finish of Unit D-5 Seaway Development building at 14231 Seaway Road, Gulfport. Contractor is JW Puckett & Co., Gulfport.
▪ $20,000 for renovation and replacement of antennas at Lightening Point, 604 Ingalls Avenue, Pascagoula. Contractor is Signal Point Systems, Kennesaw, Georgia.