Development reports for July show the building boom continues across South Mississippi, promising new places to shop, dine and stay, along with infrastructure improvements to help people get around.
Last week Rouses Markets became the official supermarket of the New Orleans Saints, but even more important for local shoppers, The Shelby Report announced this week that a $2.5 million renovation is underway at the Ocean Springs store on Bienville Boulevard.
The work is expected to take four months, according to the report, and will include a new layout of the deli, bakery, seafood and flower departments. It also will create more room for prepared and frozen foods and organic and specialty items.
Customers will see the aisles rearranged and new floors going down to give the store a new look and flow.
Never miss a local story.
In Biloxi, a building permit was issued for a new Waffle House at 618 Beach Blvd., just to the east of two new hotels under construction — the Watermark in the former Santa Maria del Mar and Hilton Garden Inn. Jerry Creel, community development director, said in his weekly report that the restaurant will be elevated to meet flood elevation requirements. It will have an historic exterior look and follow an “Old Biloxi” interior theme, Creel said, in keeping with Mayor Andrew “FoFo” Gilich’s idea of bringing back the look and feel of Biloxi when its downtown was thriving.
One of the most popular Waffle House restaurants the company operates is a few blocks away on Reynoir Street, near Beau Rivage Resort and Casino and Hard Rock Casino.
Other large projects permitted this month are an industrial building in Gulfport for Seemann Composites, which manufactures production components for the Department of Defense and commercial customers, and work on Hospital Road, Pascagoula, adjacent to Singing River Medical Center.
In addition to $10.52 million in commercial projects permitted over the last three weeks in South Mississippi, the Treen Report lists building permits for 42 new homes in Jackson County and 56 in Hancock and Harrison counties.
The new projects include:
▪ $2.5 million for renovation of Rouses Market, 3164 Bienville Blvd., Ocean Springs
▪ $2 million for an industrial building at Seemann Composites, 12481 Glasscock Drive, Gulfport. Contractor is Samuel B. Day Construction, Gulfport
▪ $1.9 million for new intersection, road and utilities at Hospital Road, Pascagoula, by the city of Pascagoula. Contractor is JE Talley Construction, Pascagoula
▪ $1.1 million for new Waffle House Restaurant at 618 Beach Blvd., Biloxi. Owner is Waffle House Inc. of Norcross, Georgia.
▪ $675,000 for concession stand, $475,000 for meeting room building and $228,000 for a pavilion at the Sportsplex of Gulfport, 17200 16th St., Gulfport. Owner is the city of Gulfport. Contractor is David Rush Construction, Pass Christian
▪ $585,000 for the finish of the Masonic Lodge at 15101 Creosote Road, Gulfport. Owner is Scottish Rite, Gulfport. Contractor is Southeastern Design/Development, Biloxi
▪ $200,000 for new commercial building at Coastal Marine Sales, Gulfport. Contractor is WC Builders, Gulfport
▪ $180,000 for water and sewer infrastructure at Landon Road, Gulfport. Contractor is Elliott Homes, Gulfport.
▪ $168,000 for renovations/warehouse at 3540 Giles Road, Gulfport. Owner is 3450 Giles Road, Brooklyn, New York. Contractor is Benecorp, Gulfport.
▪ $150,000 for second floor and elevator addition to a doctor’s office at 1295 E. Taylor Road, Gulfport. Owner is Drangela Wingfield, Gulfport. Contractor is Caliber Properties, Gulfport
▪ $87,000 for renovations at Harrison County Schools, 15451 Dedeaux Road, Gulfport. Contractor is Samuel B. Day Construction, Gulfport
▪ $61,000 for warehouse addition at 5701 Suntech Drive, Ocean Springs. Owner is Joshua Bowie, Ocean Springs. Contractor is Jason Lauban Construction, Gautier
▪ $60,000 for renovations for a Red Wing Shoe Store at 15224 Creosote Road, Gulfport. Owner is Mulford Waldrop, Columbus, Georgia. Contractor is JW Puckett & Co., Gulfport
▪ $45,000 for renovations at Pat Peck Nissan, 9480 U.S. 49, Gulfport. Contractor is Voelkel McWilliams, Mandeville, Louisiana
▪ $38,000 for renovation at 1815 11th St., Pascagoula. Owner is Bozo’s Grocery, Pascagoula. Contractor is Ricky Alexander, Pascagoula
▪ $25,000 for office renovation at 22180 Mississippi 613, Moss Point. Owner is Curtis Crane, Moss Point
▪ $25,000 for renovations and J&B Flooring, 243 Beauvoir Road, Biloxi
▪ $15,000 for renovation of classrooms at Parkway Baptist Church, 2690 Jefferson St., Pascagoula. Contractor is Charlton Construction, Pascagoula
▪ No amount provided for renovations at a new Joann Fabrics at 292 Eisenhower Drive, Biloxi. Owner is MS Edgewater Investments, Ty Gill, Carrere.