An apparent road-rage incident in the Marigny has left a California retiree paralyzed and authorities searching for the man’s attacker — a task that could be complicated by the New Orleans Police Department’s sluggish response to the assault.
Police took 40 minutes to respond to the Oct. 15 attack, and they did not begin a follow-up investigation until 10 days later — delays that might seem eye-popping, but that are actually not unusual for the beleaguered police department, according to an analysis by The New Orleans Advocate and WWL-TV of five years’ worth of NOPD calls for service.
Doug David, a jazz enthusiast who lives in La Jolla, an affluent section of San Diego, had been walking from a bar late that night when he was nearly struck by a vehicle that “blew through a stop sign” at Frenchmen and Decatur streets, said, Alicia Foulds, David’s niece.
“My uncle had a few choice words, I’m sure, and threw a can at the vehicle,” said Foulds, a Rancho Cucamonga resident who came to New Orleans after the Oct. 15 attack to watch over her uncle at University Medical Center.
Never miss a local story.
“Apparently, the gentleman pulled over, got out of the vehicle. What exactly transpired, I don’t know,” she added. “My uncle doesn’t remember.”
Read the full story at The New Orleans Advocate.