NCAA reopens probe into academic misconduct

Associated PressJune 30, 2014 

North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham said Monday that NCAA investigators will take another look into academic misconduct at the school.

In a statement, Cunningham said the NCAA has notified UNC it will reopen its 2011 investigation in a case that began as an offshoot of a 2010 probe into the football program.

"The NCAA has determined that additional people with information and others who were previously uncooperative might now be willing to speak with the enforcement staff," said Cunningham, a former Tulsa athletic director.

Investigations have uncovered fraud in a department with classes featuring significant athlete enrollments, including lecture classes that did not meet and were treated as independent studies requiring only a research paper at semester's end.

A 2012 investigation led by former Gov. Jim Martin found problems in the formerly named African and Afro-American Studies (AFAM) department stretching back to the 1990s and assigned blame to former chairman Julius Nyang'oro and retired administrator Deborah Crowder.

Nyang'oro and Crowder did not cooperate with earlier investigations but have spoken with former U.S. Justice Department official Kenneth Wainstein, who is conducting an independent probe into the academic fraud. It is unclear when he will complete his work.

The Sun Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service