The date is 1909 on this postcard image of All Saints Mission, which was the first Episcopal Church in Long Beach.
The book "Rosalie and Radishes: A History of Long Beach, Mississippi" by the late Mary Ellen Alexander gives a brief history of All Saints.
Cypress lumber and virgin pine went into the building of the church on the north side of Magnolia Street in the early 1890s. The little church served the Episcopal families of Long Beach quite well, but as time went on the congregation grew smaller.
Meanwhile, St. Peter's by-the-Sea Episcopal Church in Gulfport was being organized and the members of All Saints Mission were invited to join the congregation. But, the Long Beach Episcopalians didn't go empty-handed. They brought with them the All Saints Mission bell and five stained glass windows, which were incorporated into the St. Peter's building.
But the story of the Episcopal Church in Long Beach did not end there. In 1961 the Long Beach members of St. Peter's built a new church, St. Patrick's, in their city.
For the rest of the story, visit the St. Patrick's website, stpatrickslongbeach.org.
Learn of their battles with hurricanes Camille and Katrina and of their final victory.
Murella Powell, a local historian, writes Flashback. To submit a photo, please send a description with your name, address and daytime phone number to Flashback, the Sun Herald, P.O. Box 4567, Biloxi, MS 39535, or call 896-2424.