Pass man injured when homemade explosive malfunctions

rfitzgerald@sunherald.comJune 23, 2014 

PASS CHRISTIAN -- A 65-year-old old man was seriously injured while making explosive devices to keep trespassers off his property, Harrison County Sheriff Melvin Brisolara said.

Drayton Wayland Smith, 65, severely injured his left hand Sunday night when one of the devices malfunctioned at his home in the 12000 block of B Necaise Road.

Deputies responded to a report of a blast there about 8 p.m.

Investigators learned Smith was making devices that used live shotgun rounds and trip wires when a malfunction occurred.

Smith was taken to a hospital for treatment and was released Monday.

Brisolara said the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is assisting in the investigation.

No charges have been filed at this time.

The Sun Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service