Pictured are the enlisted aviators who were stationed at the Biloxi Coast Guard Air Station in 1944/1945. The pilots on the back row are, from left, Douglas, Yearta, (?) Kolyer, Paul Smith, (unknown) and (?) Kellogg. Front row: Stanley Smith, (?) Flanagan, (?) West and (?) Guidroz.
In September 1933, President F.D. Roosevelt authorized $290,000 for the construction of the air station.
Biloxi officials made available 6 acres of land located on Point Cadet just north of the present-day Biloxi/Ocean Springs bridge. The station was placed in commission on Dec. 5, 1934.
Responsibilities included aerial surveillance, emergency medical missions, air-sea rescue, law enforcement and assistance to local commercial fishermen.
During World War II, anti-submarine patrols from Biloxi participated in the rescue of hundreds of survivors from ships torpedoed by German U-boats in the Gulf of Mexico. In March 1947 the Biloxi station was placed in caretaker status.
After heavy damage in the 1947 Hurricane, the land and buildings were turned over to the city of Biloxi.
Murella Powell, a local historian, writes Flashback. To submit a photo, please send a description with your name, address and daytime phone number to Flashback, the Sun Herald, P.O. Box 4567, Biloxi, MS 39535, or call 896-2424.