DMR's nepotism policy
Below is the nepotism policy in force at the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources, as written:
Effective date: 08/21/98
Date of Revision: 06/01/99
To ensure a non-partisan work environment for DMR employees.
APPLICABLE TO:All DMR employees
It is the policy of the DMR that employees:
1. Shall not be placed in employment with the DMR in any position in which he or she either supervises, or is supervised by, a member of their immediate family.
2. Shall not participate in the selection and hiring process where a member of the employee's immediate family is being considered.
3. Shall not influence or attempt to influence selection and hiring decisions where a member of the employee's immediate family is being considered.
4. Shall not participate directly or indirectly in the procurement of services and/or goods from members of their immediate family.
DEFINITIONS:For the purpose of this policy, the following definitions apply:
1. "Employee" is as defined in the Internal Revenue Code and in Appendix C of the State of Mississippi Personal Contract Procurement Regulations in force April 1, 1998, which states that employees are any persons legally occupying a position in state service and contract workers.
2. "Immediate Family" is defined in Section 25-3-95 of the Mississippi Code of 1972 as amended, which states that an immediate family member is a spouse, parent, step-parent, sibling, child, grandchild, grandparent, son- or daughter-in-law, mother- or father-in law, or brother- or sister-in law.
Employees shall notify their Office Director or supervisor of any relationship covered by this policy, who will in turn notify the Executive Director. Failure to comply with this policy shall be subject to appropriate disciplinary action as described in the MS State Employee Handbook.