Results of MBI probe will be presented to grand jury

mbbaker@sunherald.comOctober 4, 2012 

Jackson County Sheriff Mike Byrd

JAMES EDWARD BATES — SUN HERALD Buy Photo

JACKSON COUNTY - Jackson County District Attorney Tony Lawrence said the results of an independent investigation into a July 31 shooting at the office of the Narcotics Task Force of Jackson County will be presented to a grand jury.

The next grand jury convenes in November, he said.

"Since I have been district attorney, every investigative file I have received from MBI (Mississippi Bureau of Investigation) has been presented to the grand jury and this one will be as well," Lawrence said in a statement.

The Jackson County Sheriff's Department requested the independent probe after Moss Point Police Chief Keith Davis learned of the shooting from other sources and called for a meeting of the NTFJC board last month.

Sheriff Mike Byrd, in written statements, has described the shooting as "accidental," saying "a weapon was accidentally discharged by a drug agent" and a "bullet hit the floor and a piece of the tile dislodged, scraping a nearby officer in the leg."

Byrd released a statement Thursday morning shortly after the decision was made.

"I have said from the beginning that this was an accident," Byrd said. "I have been told by an MBI investigator that there was no criminal wrongdoing what so ever. I look forward to seeing the Grand Jury findings and putting this entire matter behind us."

Byrd did not release information about the shooting when it occurred.

The Sun Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service