Resident of senior apartments injured in early morning fire

dharris@sunherald.comMarch 28, 2012 

— An elderly resident was hospitalized this morning from burns received when a fire started in her room at Notre Dame De La Mer Apartments in the 200 block of U.S. 90, Bay St. Louis Fire Chief Pam San Fillippo said.

The fire at the senior living complex, which happened shortly before 2:30 a.m., remains under investigation, but San Fillippo said investigators believe the woman, whom she did not identify, was smoking while holding her oxygen mask.

The female resident was treated for burns to her face, but San Fillippo did not know her condition this morning.

San Fillippo said the fire was contained to the woman’s bed. She said the mattress was burned through and the heat melted the cover over the light fixture. Sprinklers were activated in the room, she said.

Fire damage was minimal. Water from the sprinkler system covered half the first floor, she said.

Smoke damage on the first floor also was heavy, she said.

Units from both Bay. St. Louis fire stations were on scene for about two hours.

Read the story in Thursday’s Sun Herald and on SunHerald.com.

The Sun Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service