Man gets 27 years for manslaughter

rfitzgerald@sunherald.comFebruary 3, 2011 

Circuit Judge Larry Bourgeois has sentenced Richard Lambert to 27 years in prison for the manslaughter of a 79-year-old Long Beach man and for burglary of a vessel.

Assistant District Attorney Scott Lusk said Lambert was allowed to plead guilty to a reduced charge of manslaughter. He had been charged with capital murder after the discovery of Bob Barnes' dismembered remains in May 2009.

Lusk said Barnes was stabbed to death during an argument. His dismemberment was gruesome, Lusk said, but the state could not prove dismemberment killed him, which was an element of the capital offense.

Read more in Friday's Sun Herald.

The Sun Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service